NYC to Hong Kong with wife, 2 toddlers

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by droidhunter 9 yrs ago
Hello,

I'm moving to HK this summer and hoping to get some insight into the following questions. Any insight very much appreciated during this dramatic change in our lives!

1. What is a good neighborhood for a suburb-loving family of 4 ~$50HKD/month. Would like to have a good expat community as we're very social and hopefully within a reasonable range to good schools. I'm willing to commute so proximity to Central not a huge issue.

2. We have a child turning five in November 2015 and assume he'll have to go to kindergarten. What is the best route to ultimately get him into an International school for next year? Should we send to an ESF school then get on a list for an International? Not sure what other people do but any advice would be great.

3. Is the pollution really that bad/noticeable even away from Central. Very concerned for lungs of 2 and 4 year old.

Thank you in advance!!!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 9 yrs ago
1. I really like Happy Valley - it has a village atmosphere with local pubs and some decent restaurants

3. There is no escaping the frequently horrible pollution, Air purifiers are a must http://www.alencorpasia.com/Articles.asp?ID=293&utm_source=asiaxpat&utm_medium=home+feature&utm_campaign=free+air+test

GSD 9 yrs ago
Hi,

Would you consider to live in suburb but you perhaps need to commute more than 30 mins to Central?
which month will you arrive Hong kong?

droidhunter 9 yrs ago
Hi, Definitely willing to commute over 30 minutes and arriving around June/July.

GSD 9 yrs ago
Hi,

How much is your budget?
Can you send me a message to my inbox as I do not check here often.

Atat0202 9 yrs ago
Hi,

I am in Pokfulam area, near Queen Mary Hospital.

Good fresh air, good school network, less than 20 mins to Central by minibus.

But sorry no restaurants by walking distance.

tomnelvot 9 yrs ago
When it comes to living environment, Sai Kung must be one of the best areas. There're also many expats. Schools around are not bad. The only shortcoming is that it may take you longer time to commute.

SuseW 9 yrs ago
If you want space (and you might with two toddlers) I would consider Lantau Island - Mui Wo or Discovery Bay have lots of expats - Discovery Bay (DB) is more trendy and clicky but has 7 international Kindys while Mui Wo is more laid back and relaxed. There is a new Kindy opening in Mui Wo in August with a drama based curriculum called Kind Hing Trinity, and there is also a Montessori Kindy. It's a 30 min fast ferry or 50 min slow ferry ride away from Hong Kong Island

Eunicetai 9 yrs ago
If you are still looking for a place, see you would consider living in a village house. My mum has an apartment in a village house in Shatin, looking for reliable expat teachers/professionals to rent(long term). From Shatin to Kowloon Tong is 2 MTR stations, to Central by MTR is less than 1 hour. The apartment has 3 bedrooms, 60 sq., with a nice valley view, fresh air and green surrounding. Think you might like it. Besides, free parking in the village.
There is a ESF(Shatin college) nearby, 10 minutes drive. Also, you can also consider YCIS(Yew Chung International School) in Kwoloon Tong, you can travel from Shatin to Kowloon Tong by MTR.

Rent: $13500/month. 2 year contract(1st year fixed and 2nd year one-month in advance notice before moving)

E-mail me if interested.(tainw@yahoo.com)

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad