Moving to HK - What is a good salary?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by stuti10 9 yrs ago
Hello,

I plan to move to Hong Kong with my husband and 1 year old daughter. My husband will stay out of job for a while to work on his new social venture. I would like to know what salary is good enough to sustain in HK. A few major expenses we are looking at are –

1) 2-3 BR apartment (relatively new construction, can be outside city center, view doesn’t matter)
2) Full time Day care center for our daughter

Thanks in advance,
Stuti

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Rob Lewis 9 yrs ago
What nationality are you?

Do you have an employment visa?

No 1:- you will have to prove to immigration that you have a sufficient salary to support your husband and daughter....after rent etc......

You will also have to apply for a dependants visa for your husband if you are granted permission by immigration....

2-3 bedroom apartment will be in the region of 40-50K per month at least in half decent area....please factor that you will have to pay 2.5 months rent BEFORE you move in...so 100 - 125K!!!! UPFRONT....this is how the rental market works here in HK...you will also have to sign a lease on apartment for 2 years.

To be frank to have what you desire will cost a lot in Hong Kong......Hope that you are on a good salary....

stuti10 9 yrs ago
Hi Rob,

Thanks a lot for your reply. We're of indian nationality moving from NYC. The company I might join will sponsor my employment visa and dependent visa for my husband.

To be honest I am not 100% sure if the salary offered to me is good enough or not. I reckon we need to have household income of at least 1,000,000 hkd to afford the desired lifestyle. Would you agree?

Thanks again,
Stuti

Rob Lewis 9 yrs ago
Hi Stuti,

You will need AT LEAST HK 1,000,000 if you are to live to a ' similar ' standard you are used to in NYC....with your family and to live in a 2-3 bedroom apartment in a decent area...

I do not think you would be able to save any money whatsoever.....HK is an extremely expensive place to live if you are expecting to mirror your lifestyle in NYC

The day centre for your child will be prohibitively expensive...the majority of expats here hire full time live-in helpers to help with household and children on a day to day basis.

Remember that you will have to pay 2.5 month rent in advance....this is a huge chunk of money!

Please also remember you will have to prove to immigration you have sufficient savings and funds to support your husband and child...they will take everything into account before they grant you a visa......it will be a long process for you.

Your sponsor company will also have to prove to immigration that the position cannot be filled with people from the local demo-graph again before immigration issue a visa to you.

stuti10 9 yrs ago
Yes that makes sense. Again thanks a lot for all the info.

mwan1920 9 yrs ago
Rob is correct. HK is expensive and many I know need an expat package to live similar standards. Even outside of city rent is expensive, almost the same as on HK Island but you get a little more space.

For something around 1200sqft plan to pay around HKD50,000-80,000 a month. So, making 1,000,000 barely pays the rent! Not to mention childcare, domestic staff, living expenses, etc. Of course, many locals live for much less...but different standards.

Now, as for your husband, there's now lots of support for social ventures here (Good Lab, SVHK, etc). So it's a good place for that if there's sufficient savings or alternate source income to live off.

Good luck.

stuti10 9 yrs ago
Dear MWAN1920, thanks for the info! How much rent do you think for an 800 sq feet apartment ?
Also, I'll pass on the information to my husband, I'm sure he'll benefit from it. Thanks again.

carmine 9 yrs ago
For 800 sq feet near city center, you are looking roughly 30 -40 K per month. To live a simlar lifestyle as you would in the states, HK is very very expensive.

dgp 9 yrs ago
I agree with Rob in some respects but you can find an apartment for example in hung hom 12 months old building for 24,000 hkd dlrs a month 2 bedroom u can sign a min of six months lease no deposit has gym and pool and shuttle bus service to TST every 15 mins.
Is also very close to hung hom station
i have a friend who lives their and their are many expats live their also.

mwan1920 9 yrs ago
DGP is right. Many areas to live in cheaper than HK Island. Shatin, Taipo, Tsuen Wan, Ma On Shan, Tsing Yi, etc all decent for families...some might say nicer than HK Island. But the commute can be killer depending on where you work. FYI, I used to live in NYC with my small family so know what you're going through. As with NY, you get what you pay for. But nicer buildings ($$$) offer more facilities for kids such as Podium (outdoor common play area), indoor play area, common rooms etc. Very important if you stay centrally as there aren't many easily accessible parks such as you're used to.

Hope this helps.

mwan1920 9 yrs ago
Oh yeah, you're much more likely to get a live in helper than send your 1yo to all day daycare.

That won't be a large cost here. But if live-in you'll have to have an appropriate size flat with maids quarters...

dgp 9 yrs ago
Yes agree mawan a helper at 4000 hks dlrs plus or more a month is a better alternative .
for a small child that day care

stuti10 9 yrs ago
Thank you all for your inputs. This will definitely help me in making an informed decision. I am still negotiating with the hiring company on salary/relocation package. Therefore, all this information really helps me.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad