Record of Name Change from the 1970's

Posted by SpeedRacer 3 yrs ago

My parents divorced in HK in the early 70's and my mother remarried an American on or about 01 January 1974 and she took his surname. My surname was also changed around the same time to match my new step-father's. I'm a British Citizen (born in the UK) and would have been seven years old at the time.

I'm looking to get a certified copy of my name change but I'm not having much luck finding anything online. I can see where there are applications for birth, death and marriage certificates but nothing I can see for a name change. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.


Please support our advertisers:
andy1981 3 yrs ago
I would start in the UK - look under births, deaths, marriage and divorce, also try deed poll register.

Then try the same for HK.

Would be helpful if you can collate any information you have and put it date order like a time line of events.

Have you tried private investigators? For a few hundred pounds they can source anyone's records no matter how far back.

Depends how badly you really wanna open a can of worms.

Best of luck

Please support our advertisers:
PsychopathTacoSauce 2 yrs ago
Are you in Hong Kong and was your name change registered in Hong Kong?

The following is a page about changing a child's name at the Births Registries:

General Enquiries
Hotline: (852) 2824 6111
Fax: (852) 2877 7711

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now