PR for minor born in Hong Kong

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by MelvieHK 5 yrs ago
Hi,

We want to apply for PR for our daughter, but have a couple of doubts, that hopefully someone can clarify for us.

My husband has recently become PR, we're both European, and our daughter was born in Hong Kong, where she lived for 14 months.

My daughter and I, for family reasons, have been away from Hong Kong 1.5 years now, we plan to move back at some point in the next year, but would like to secure her PR sooner rather than later.

My questions are:
1. Does her being away for 1.5 years affect her eligibility for PR, or is she still eligible because of her father's PR and being born in HK?

2. Can he apply on her behalf, without her being physically present in Hong Kong, or does she need to be in Hong Kong in order to apply for her PR?

3. Can the application be done online, even though she does not have a HKID number?

4. When the time comes for verification of documents, does she have to be in Hong Kong, even is she doesn't go to the office?

If you could share your experience or knowledge, we would greatly appreciate, we are unable to find any relevant information online.

Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
bananaq 5 yrs ago
If you are applying for PR it means that you already acquired 7 yrs of residency in HK even your away as long as the visas are not expired. Applying for PR is easy. I suggest you go to Immigration website or ask your husband to go to Immigration in Wanchai to get all the information. Hope it helps.

MelvieHK 5 yrs ago
Thanks for your input, but this is not for me, it is for my daughter, who is born in hong kong and has one parent with PR, therefore she is entitled to have it.

I have done extensive search, and have not been able to find answers to my specific questions, hence why I am asking here. My husband is away in business, so he cannot go to Immigration. Thanks anyways

bananaq 5 yrs ago
follow this link

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/roa/eligible.html

Non-Chinese Citizens

(d)

A person not of Chinese nationality who has entered Hong Kong with a valid travel document, has ordinarily resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of not less than seven years and has taken Hong Kong as his/her place of permanent residence before or after the establishment of the HKSAR.

The continuous period of seven years ordinary residence must be immediately before the date when the person applies to the Director of Immigration for the status of a permanent resident of the HKSAR under this category.
The person is required to make a declaration in the form the Director of Immigration stipulates that he/she has taken Hong Kong as his/her place of permanent residence. If the person is under 21 years of age, the declaration must be made by a parent or legal guardian. For this purpose, the person will have to furnish information to satisfy the Director of Immigration that he/she has taken Hong Kong as a place of permanent residence. The information may include whether he/she has habitual residence in Hong Kong, whether the principal members of the person’s family (spouse and minor children) are in Hong Kong, whether the person has a reasonable means of income to support himself/herself and his/her family and whether he/she has paid taxes in accordance with the law.
Please note that a person claiming to have the status of a permanent resident of the HKSAR under this category does not have that status until he/she has applied to the Director of Immigration and the application has been approved.
(e)

A person under 21 years of age born in Hong Kong to a parent who is a permanent resident of the HKSAR in category (d) before or after the establishment of the HKSAR if at the time of his/her birth or at any later time before he/she attains 21 years of age, one parent has the right of abode in Hong Kong.

Please note that on attaining 21 years of age, the person ceases to be a permanent resident of the HKSAR under this category. He/She may, however, apply to the Director of Immigration for the status of a permanent resident of the HKSAR under category (d).

Chivas21 5 yrs ago
Your daughter does have the right to apply for PR being born in Hong Kong.

Your husband may approach the HK Immigration department for verification on whether she must be present at the time of applying or you could do this upon your return to Hong Kong.

You need to produce your daughters birth certificate upon which they will verify her eligibility.

She will not be issued with an Identity card as such till she is of age, but her passport will be stamped with the following:

Holder eligibility for Hong Kong Permanent identity card verified.

My daughter had been through this process for her son.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad