Teaching Qualification Question

Posted by ChazmoBrittonica 5 mths ago
Hi all,

I moved from the UK to Hong Kong about five months ago. I have been working in a private tuition centre, which is fine, but I don't really want to work here long-term because of how little holiday there is and just how unpredictable the scheduling can be. My dream would be to work in an international school here, as I've taught IB and IGCSE students here and have by far the most energy when I'm teaching at those levels. I have two questions:

1. Will international schools accept a teaching qualification from Hong Kong (e.g. from the Education University of Hong Kong or HKU)? I have a BA in English from Oxford and a TEFL, but I know I would need to go back to university to get my PGCE.

2. For the two years' teaching experience, does that need to be in my home country, or would teaching experience here suffice?

I guess the big problem underpinning all of this is that I have a girlfriend here whom I really like and don't want to abandon if I can help it. I genuinely enjoy living here, but I don't want to work in a private tuition centre forever - they can be kinda sweatshoppy. Any advice would be highly appreciated as I feel pretty lost and anxious about the future at the moment.

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now