Dripping airconditioners

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by highdesertnow 15 yrs ago
I am sure somewhere you have experienced dripping airconditioners above your flat. Our airconditioner was dripping and when the management informed us that it was dripping we fixed it the next day. management informed us on a thursday and we fixed it on friday by monday the food and hygiene people were at our door at 7:55am. We were so mad as it was so early and we were not awake yet and thought it was an emergency. They wanted to inspect our aircon but we did not let them in as we knew we had fixed our aircon and i think it was just too early for them to check on us like that!! This happened last month and last friday nov 6 we received a letter that they were going to inspect our premises again today nov 11 at 3pm. Since nobody will be home and it is near winter we do not turn on our aircon anymore and they do not have any evidence that our aircon is dripping, my question is did we do the right thing by not letting them in and what are the consequences?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
tomrus 15 yrs ago
yes dont worry, tell the management that the same is fixed and that they dont have any proof of leakage or disturbance from dripping , furthermore you do not even use it . give a copy of your letter yo the food and hygiene dept people and tell them that they can come at a reasonable time when convenient to you.

you can act high and mighty no problems but please please ensure that indeed your ac is fixed and not dripping so that no fault can be found against you when they do finally check it.

cowleyp 15 yrs ago
This is a well worn path look at this 10 years ago!

Campaign to Prevent Air-Conditioner Nuisances

A fine of $10 000 will be imposed on people whose air conditioners cause nuisances to neighbours, a spokesman for the Department of Health said today (Saturday).

He said that a publicity campaign had been launched by the Department's Health Education Unit under the sponsorship of the Provisional Urban Council and Provisional Regional Council to remind the public of the importance of keeping air-conditioner in good conditions.

Nothing that poorly maintained fresh water towers might transmit Legionella Disease and affect health, the spokesman advised owners of fresh water cooling towers to drain the towers regularly, and to cleanse and sterilise the towers every six months to prevent the growth and spread of Legionella bacteria.

"With the approach of the summer season, unwanted drippings, hot air and excessive noise are the common nuisances caused by defective air-conditioners."

"To avoid causing hot air nuisance to the neighbourhood, the heat release part of the air-conditioning system, such as water cooling tower or air-cooled condenser, should be installed at a suitable position such as the roof or podium," he said.

"If an air-conditioner drips, affix a metal tray fitted with a hose underneath the air-conditioner to drain away the water drippings properly. For water cooling tower of large air-conditioning system, install an anti-splashing guard to eliminate the dripping nuisance," he added.

The spokesman stressed that regular inspections were important to ensure that the machine functioned properly.

He said that the public could make use of a 24-hour hotline - 2380 2580 to know more about preventing air-conditioning nuisances.

Publicity letters, posters and leaflets giving advice on the proper use of air-conditioners will be widely distributed to the management of housing estates, large shopping arcades, industrial buildings, owners corporations, mutual aid committees, suppliers of air-conditioners and members of the public.

Publicity through the mass media will also be arranged to arouse public concern on the issue.

End/Saturday, May 15, 1999

rosedale123 15 yrs ago
Dear Highdesertnow,

This is obviously a complaint or complaints ,verbal or written, from lower floor occupants, which lead to the quick action from the Management Officeand staff from the FEHD. This is a common nature of complaints in the summer season and does cause nuisance to the occupants on the lower floors.

Either the lower floor occupants and/or the Management Office for and on behalf of the Incorporated Owners of the building can make complaints to the FEHD at the Hotline l823 , e-mail to the District Senior Health INspector of FEHD (both efficient and have records). The Government is trying to take action for the good of the general public in theory. Their actual operations may cause inconveniences to owners/occupants. You have the obligations tyo observe that you do not violate the clauses and conditions in the Land Grant and/or the Deed of Mutual Covenants and the provisions of the Public Health and Municipal Services Ordinance of Hong Kong for which FEHD is the Authority. Even a complaint is lodged with the Police which will then direct the complainst to the FEHD.

Back to your case, you have the right in turning the FEHD people away at the early hours as described as being tenants/owners , you have the right to enjoy living in the flat peacefully and even the 3:00p.m. apppointment can be rejected as appoinment of this sort can only be fixed by mutual agreed date and time . If the FEHD has a Search Warrant on hand,( I do not think they have) it is a different issue. The Management Office/FEHD people can view your dripping situation from the Ground Floor by telescope and even the new digital cameras with tele functions and took photos simultaneously.They can view it on the roof parapet wall or your opposite/neighbouring flats (subject to the latter consent), and can witness the condition or nature of complaints.

On your side, you can simply turn ON the a/c,if there is no dripping, just ignore any query. The MO and/or FEHD has to prove the condition to the contrary.

The MO/FEHD are discharging their duties as employees. Yet in these days, some staff(Government/private) can overreact on some issues for some other unknown reasons.

ON long term basis, the best solution is to instal a system of a/c outflow ducts on the external walls when the building is next due for renovations.

Anyway, you can counter-complain to the District Senior Health Inspector and/or the MO for the improper handling of the case .

I am a retired Housing Practitioner and I know many treats and tricks in the trade. Please telephone to the Manager of the Building direct if anything unusual happens in the future. I am now a collector. I browse this website very often for Collectibles and I gave my views/comments to the readers like you as I have been living in HK for 50 years and I am knowledged in many procedures and prectices aspects in our daily life with the Government and the private sector. I hope this can ease your minds. So do not worry and have good spirits for your work tomorrow morning.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad