unnecessary violence in childrens movies

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by @@ 19 yrs ago
Stick with the Wiggles and Maisy for as long as you can! I can't think of too many movies which are appropriate for a 2.5 year old. As for the Incredibles, I wont let me 4 year old watch it, have you seen how the parents talk to each other, just dreadful........

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
mealnie07 19 yrs ago
My three and a half year old watches them. I can't remember what the parents say to each other, what was it?

When he asks about the mama fish or deer, I explain that sometimes people or things die and they have gone to a special place but they can't come back. I then reassure him that his mama is not going anywhere and that I (all going well) will be around for quite some time. I think the fear of the parent leaving is what triggers the questions. Perhaps I am too honest with my child.

ness 19 yrs ago
Don't get me started on movies supposedly for kids. I tried to protect my first for ages from all the voilent cartoons and guns and war toys, playstation etc. Unfortunately the minute they go to school they learn everthing from every movie you tried to shield them from. We all watch a family movie every sunday night and that way we can discuss anything in it with the kids. Even when quite controversial stuff comes up (we are rewatching all the James Bond movies at the moment and they are politically incorrect, sexist and quite risque.) we can discuss it openly with the kids who are quite a bit older than your little sweetie. Agree with previous posters - from Harry Potter to Toy Story, Huckelbury Finn, I find it hard to think of a kids movie with a traditional mum and dad family.

cyan 19 yrs ago
For a 2.5 year old the already suggested and Noddy, Tweenies, Richard Scary, Cailou and a few more from BBC are very edducative and modern, and Winnie the Pooh from Disney are good.

Most of other Disney movies I'd say 4-5 with parents to explain whats going on.

Most princess movies have very scary characters and the most recent ones from Disney, Incredibles, Treasure Planet, even Toy Story II are for much older kids. Stich is terrible for any age.

Peter Pan I and Robin Hood are ok.

We wacht all movies before we introduce them to our girls.

When my elder was 4 she started refusing to eat meat... we found out they been readind the story in the school and she tough she would be as bad as the wolf for meat.

Most classic fairy tales are not really appropriate for our kids nowadays because there are no longer the same needs and references as when they were writen.

Some are so uggly... the Litle Redhood book someone gave my daughters had the man shooting the wolf with a gun and then cutting wolf belly, with the help of Redhood, with a knife to take the grandmother out... How on earth do you get any kind of explanation to give a little child?

They are now 5 and 7.

And you are right ness, they learn everything in school or at friends place.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad