Western Style Chinese Food

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Matt1973 18 yrs ago
Anyone know any good Western Style Chinese restaurants on the Island other than the American Peking ?

Thanks in advance

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 18 yrs ago
How about Yung Kee across from Starbucks on Wellington St Central. Or one of my all time favourites, Dim Sum (they serve more than dim sum) on Sing Woo Rd Happy Valley (across the st from the two petrol stations)

darryl zero 18 yrs ago
I'm searching for a dish you can find in American Chinese food restaurants... It goes by a number of names, such as "Spicy Orange Chicken", "General Tso's Chicken", or "General Gao's Chicken", just to list a few. Basically it is chunks of chicken meet, breaded and fried, coated in an am orange flavored glaze and spiced with chili peppers and garlic. Can't find it in any legitimate Chinese restaurants here, but have been craving it like mad...

Gas 18 yrs ago
It took me ages to find another Western Chinese other than American Peking which really is not very good. The best one on HK Island is Peking Garden in Alexandra House, Central. Best prawns in HK.

cali3_n_lyn 18 yrs ago
Hey darryl,

Email me your contacts.

hksoul 18 yrs ago
You can try Jimmy's kitchen in Central(expensive)

Or Sammy's Kitchen - Queens Road West, on the way to the Sai Ying Pun court house.

Sammy's is much cheaper, great food, and has been there for YEARS !!

janniehk 18 yrs ago
there was a place called China Town in Wanchai but not sure if its still there. I don't think theres much of a market for real westernized Chinese food...just not considered good and proper Chinese cuisine

zusa 18 yrs ago
There is place in Central that serves up British Style Chinese food.

Before anyone starts to snigger - consider the amount of Chinese in the UK and then think again. If you think the style of Chinese food you get in the UK and what you get in Hong Kong is the same then you need to get out more!

There is a big difference between the Chinese food you get in the UK and what the locals eat. Just in ingredients alone there is a big difference. There is no one set formula for Chinese cuisine - not even in the mainland - so 'Western Chinese Cuisine' is not as crazy as it sounds.

Give them a try - they have a really big following for their unique style of Chinese cooking.

Name: Gourmet Kitchen

Phone #: 2522-2162

Address: #27 Peel Street (just off the Central wet market area)

They also do a whole lot of Pizza. :)

One important point - they don't use MSG in anything - which is a whole lot different than many of the local places.

kimmy 18 yrs ago
I sometimes prefer western-style Chinese over local Chinese food, ordered from Gourmet Kitchen once with a friend (gweilo) and had to throw away most of it as we found most of the dishes (rice, noodles,veggies) really unyummy.. but that was 2 years ago, maybe (hopefully!) it's improved since then....

Matt1973 18 yrs ago
have to agree I think the use of the word Gourmet isn't that accurate. Still looking for a decent western Chinese, to feed about the only craving I have for the UK.

zusa 18 yrs ago
Hmmm... to each their own. I found that food pretty yummy and the prices fair enough. Just the fact they avoided the MSG route was a plus. Your mileage may vary. :D

zusa 18 yrs ago
Yeah too right.

The guys name is Richard (he's still involved with the restaurant btw)and he now has a second place out in Tai Po called Luca's.

Best British Style Chinese food in Hong Kong.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad