What is appropriate?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by jamiekoh 18 yrs ago
Just received a wedding invitation card frm a friend frm Singapore. I am in HK and her wedding is going to be in Philipine. Told her through email before I received her invitation card that I can't make it to her wedding. Now, the invitation is here. Question is do I still send her a gift and what would be appropriate? Any philipina here that can suggest the best acceptable norm in the Phil?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
jamiekoh 18 yrs ago
gift cert. frm bank as in cash? What would be the appropriate amount? And do I send it through mail???

25L▬Φ▬25R 18 yrs ago
Just buy a toaster or a cappucino machine of between 1500 ~ 2000HKD and post it eps via Hong Kong post. They should be happy about that.

postage would be about 300HKD roughly give or take 100hkd

petit 18 yrs ago
The gift certificate is a better idea!

pzam 18 yrs ago
Does she have a wedding registry? Maybe its online and you can just buy off it. That way, you'll be giving them something that the couple wants. The cost of the gift would depend on how close you are to her. No need to give her a huge/expensive gift if you are not that close unless you want to.

jamiekoh 18 yrs ago
Thanks everyone for replying.

The couple are going to live in Singapore after the wedding. So,cash will be more appropriate? Not? Thinking abt PNS gift cert suggested above...just want to make sure that she can cash that out. Also, like to know the acceptable amount in the Phil. She is a Philipina.

jamiekoh 18 yrs ago
Hi Beancurd,

I will visit WW plaza then. Do you happen to know if there is "market rate" for wedding gift in the Phil? Thanks for the great info.

jamiekoh 18 yrs ago
Market rate = standard wedding gift giving amount in term of cash. The norm in Singapore & HK,for wedding, you don't give below market rate. i.e. wedding held in 5star hotel vs that held in normal restaurant and whether or not you are attending to the wedding is a factor to decide the amount giving. The bottom line is, I don't want to give less than the norm people do in Phil.

dei_f 18 yrs ago
Jamie,

When I got married in Manila a few months ago most of my friends/relatives gave monetary gifts ranging from PhP2,000 to P15,000. The older they (guest) are, the more expensive their gifts or, probably more correctly, the better off they are, the more they gave. There really is no standard/customary amount to give (unlike here in HK (if you got invited but won't be attending = HKD300, will attend but reception is not the grand chinese banquet type = HKD500 etc etc; or in Japan, standard gift 10,000 yen plus you some amount to pay for the 2nd or 3rd party). A lot of our guests also gave their gifts in USD, knowing I'd be leaving a week after getting married. My two cents: anywhere from HKD300 to 500 should be fine (current exhange rate ~HKD1 = PhP6.5, I have no idea how much the transfer would cost though)

jamiekoh 18 yrs ago
Hi dei_f,

That is a great help. Thanks so much.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad