Hiking and snakes

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by GlanAber 18 yrs ago
I have been warned not to go hiking until the weather cools down as a combination of the heat and breeding season makes the snakes fairly "active". Is this true?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Claire 18 yrs ago
The risks from heat stroke, falling, or robbers are greater than from a snake bite.

cd 18 yrs ago
I've never heard of anyone being bitten by a snake in HK (buts thats not to say they haven't), dogs yes because they go poking around in the undergrowth. Snakes are generally non agressive and normally will only attack if they are feeling threatened, they are more likely to get out your way if they hear you coming.

Topol 18 yrs ago
I run every weekend in the country parks and have come across plenty of snakes. They are more concerned about getting as far away from you as possible and a not a major concern. The heat is by far your biggest worry.

Claire 18 yrs ago
Snake bites do occur - and occur slighty more during summer - but fatalities are very rare. Even the government snake wranglers have been bitten hundreds of times and still go out and catch more of them.

Most HK snakes have slow-acting venom and there is usually plenty of time to get to hospital.

wildbravado 18 yrs ago
I've lived here for 20 years and have hiked all over HK. Yes, you see snakes often, and a few of them are venemous, but a good number are nocturnal. Those that you meet on your hikes will almost certainly be trying to get away from you or not aware of your presence. Common sense, thick socks and a a mobile phone are all you need. DO NOT under any circumstances attack snakes, even the non-venomous ones such as the common rat snake, can give you a nasty and very painful bite. Like sharks, if you give them a wide bearth, they give you one too.

Claire 18 yrs ago
No one has been killed in HK by a (Burmese) python, although a few dogs have. Besides they grow up to 20 feet so you should be able to avoid stepping on one.

cd 18 yrs ago
pythons aren't venomous, they're constrictors. And they don't all grow to huge proportions, ball pythons only grow up to about 4 feet.

Claire 18 yrs ago
Is the ball python in HK? The one is mentioned - Burmese python - is in HK and, according to the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens' website:

Burmese Python... Its body averages 3 to 5m in length, but some may grow to more than 6m.

Which is why they kill dogs here.

cd 18 yrs ago
I'm not sure if Ball pythons are native to HK but they are certainly here as my son has one living in his bedroom!!! I didn't know burmese rock pythons were native to HK either. But to KSE4, after seeing our baby python catching a mouse and seeing how quick it pounces, then yes a large python could easily catch a dog that was sniffing around the undergrowth. But how often do you here of it happening. The case I heard of a few weeks ago was the first one I'd ever heard of being eaten.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad