Annoying vnet.cn...

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by JPMartin 18 yrs ago
Hi everyone,

For few weeks now, each time I open my browser (firefox and IE) on a new session on XP, I have this http://welcome.sh.vnet.cn that appears instead of my home page. I don't know if it's a malware or if it comes from China Telecom server...

How can I get rid of it???

Thanks...

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
JPMartin 18 yrs ago
Hi, thanks Jinny,

As I understand, vnet is a China Telecom partner, and their ad page appears randomly when I surf on internet. There's apparently not a lot of people who have this problem, I tried different solutions, still searching. Thanks anyway....

OldHippy 18 yrs ago
The reason you have this problem is cuz you are using the vnet supplied dialer to connect. Uninstall and let winxp to configure your internet connections, the problem should go away.

JPMartin 18 yrs ago
Hi and thanks Jinny and OldHippy... I've used different malware remover, adaware, spybot, spysweeper, spyware blaster et hijackthis. Still the same... I'll try what you told me Jinny, and let you know. I wonder if I'm the only one in Shanghai having this problem.

OldHippy, where is this dialer supposed to be? I can find it.

OldHippy 18 yrs ago
How do you connect to the internet once you have booted up your computer ? what do you click ?

that would be your dialer

JPMartin 18 yrs ago
Hi, I tried everything as you told me guys, still here, could it come from their server and not my computer? I don't use any dialer, just a normal connection configured manualy. I'm ready to give up, paying for internet and advertisement, just great. If you have any other idea, thank you for your help....

OldHippy 18 yrs ago
ok then heres how it is . Your connection is being piped via software to an unknown host which is serving you with ad's. there are ways to trace it and put an end to it manualy and it would depend on how tech savy you are.

Alternative is to reinstall your OS and it should go away.

JPMartin 18 yrs ago
Hi, I finally got someone to phone China Telecom. This is a "normal" advert, everyone is suppose to have it. According to them, this is on the whole system and they can't and don't want to stop it. And when I ask to, what they call their "customer service", if the only way to get rid of that is to change to CNC, the answer was "we don't care"... Thanks China Telecom...

114 vnet is the search engine made by CT, I think it's related to the use of Google and Yahoo, they try to make you use theirs...

Thanks for your help, I'm just going to contact CNC. Bye.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad