Annual Leave

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by ebow3d 16 yrs ago
As I have posted in another threat, I have received a job offer from a multi national company in HK.

Now one more thing I want to know: how many days paid annual leave is the norm in HK?

They have offered me 10 days, is this the standard there?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Digital Blonde 16 yrs ago
That is a standard employment contract, it does vary from person to person and depending on company to company, but if you were to ask what the average was, ignoring outliers like senior mangers without negotiating, most companies will offer just 10 days. Though there are quite a few public holidays in Hong Kong, I really would negotiate for more. If they are keen on hiring you, then number of days annual leave will not be a deal breaker. Quite a few multinationals offer more even for junior hires, though I suspect that is to do with their own internal standardisation of basic benefits more than anything

sxc 16 yrs ago
Most companies start with 2 weeks leave (10 days if no Saturday work) but they then add additional days leave for each year of service. In your second year you may get 10+1 = 11 day leave. The max is then up to a limit.

Sashimi Girl 16 yrs ago
i know many people with 20 days - not all senior management. this may not be the norm but it is definitely possible.

yeah it is very possible, my friend got a job with a consulting company, and it was his first real job out of university, and he got 21 days annual leave. His company were a British company, and that amount of days was a standard for them in the UK. It does really depend on who you work for and what their policy is. The average person though gets 10 days as a standard if cetris paribas

NZlawyergirl 16 yrs ago
I get 25 days annual leave with my English firm - this is the norm for them. No Saturday working.

That is an abnormal amount of leave, you lucky person

That is an abnormal amount of leave, you lucky person

woods99 16 yrs ago

42 days (ie six full weeks) used to be pretty standard for expatriates, back in the good old, bad old days.

But of course we worked Saturday mornings then.

Yeah if you signed your contract back in the eighties, different time now though.

Yeah for Hong Kong 10 days is pretty standard, I think there are probably more public holidays in Hong Kong than most places, at least it feels that way, but that doesnt make up for the shortfall really

woods99 16 yrs ago

Civil servants used to get very long leave entitlements, back in the days when it was only possible to travel back to the UK by ship.

Not all that long ago, civil servants lost their flat when they went on long leave, and had to live in a hotel until they could get up the queue for another flat.

All this history is lost, I suppose - much of Hong Kong's history is consigned to the dustbin, sadly.

I know the system well, my dad was a civil servant, that leave entitlement lasted well into the eighties even after everyone had begun flying home for holidays, If you were on pensionable terms, you had that privilage up until retirement. I don't remember ever losing the flat because we went on leave, but I do remember staying in leave flats of other civil servants who were on leave before we found permanent accomodation They even paid for public schools back in Blighty on account of lack of "decent" education in the colony. An expat civil service package was a cushy number during colonial times.

Dive bum 16 yrs ago
Wife gets 25 days in an English law firm. I get 20 paid and up to 10 unpaid (US consultancy) - but only after negotiation. The starting standard for my company is 15 with up to 7 more after 5/6 years. No Saturday work for either of us. No way I'd have taken the job with only 10 days leave unless option to take lots of unpaid.

FKKC 16 yrs ago
I used to work in a firm that gave annual leave according to one's age. Staff that were 35 & over gets 4 weeks off and increased as they get older and ironically, very senior staff got only 2 weeks if their age fall below the age mark. Years of service and senority doesn't count - a clerk of say aged 38 that is hired gets a longer leave than his/her boss who maybe is in his/her early thirties.

So there's no rules - depending on organizations & their policies.

ebow3d 16 yrs ago
Well, I've just accepted the job offer, 10 days leave and all. At this stage in my life, unfortunately, holiday is not the priority.

I live in a country that is going downhill very fast, and have to find a way to ensure a good future for my kids.

Mighty 16 yrs ago
ebow3d, I wonder which country you are talking about. Every country in the world is facing difficulties nowadays.. may be excpet Dubai.

Anyway, welcome to Hong Kong and all the best.

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
i get 20 days in multinational and husband 6 wks in UK firm - 10 days in a multinational for an expat is rather unusual - fight...

You really should be able to negotiate that point, I mean if a company thinks you are the right person for the job, asking for a few more days annual leave should not be a deal breaker.

ebow3d 16 yrs ago
"ebow3d, I wonder which country you are talking about. Every country in the world is facing difficulties nowadays.. may be excpet Dubai.

Anyway, welcome to Hong Kong and all the best."

I'm in South Africa. I know the world economy is facing economic difficulties, but that is propably the least of our wories here. I don't want to focus on the negative side of things here, thus won't go into detail. However, almost every professional in SA is leaving the country for good.

In fact, the only professional that I know who wants to stay is my brother, a medical doctor. Although he is keeping his options open too.

Anyway, right now, my wife and I have got our plates full, having to orgainse everything for the big trek to Hong Kong!

Thanks for all the helpfull info from you guys. I will propably still post some more questions, as things progress here.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad