Baby chatting, playing and crying instead of taking a nap

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by 788 14 yrs ago
Hello, Has anyone run into this problem? And how did you get over this hump? He has been on Gina Ford routine since he was 3 months, he is now 13months. He is chatting, playing and crying in his crib for an hour easily, sometimes even hour and a half, instead of napping. The crying lasts for max 5 min, soon enough he starts chatting with his toys. Then he cries again and cycle keeps going. He is so tired, yet he refuses to take his mid day nap. Then he manages to sleep for less than an hour but he is up again as he is hungry around 3pm. He is then cranky the rest of the afternoon as he has not really finished his sleep. I am trying to cut down his morning nap from half hour to 15-20 min but he is so sleepy at that time that even half hour seems less. He has done this(chatting/ playing/ crying for almost all of his nap time) in the morning too so I have let him have a 15 min nap after 10am as I know that he cannot even last till lunch. His not taking naps is driving me. He goes down for the day at 7pm and up by 6-6:30am.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 14 yrs ago
First, check for any changes. For example, could he be teething?

Once you've eliminated that, stand firm and don't give up. These things go in waves.

Eddy 14 yrs ago
what not removing toys from his bed!

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
Good point Eddy! Remove distractions. The bed should be a space for quiet contemplation. I jest but a favorite teddy should be enough.

788 14 yrs ago
:) He has thrown out 2 of 4 already. He then leans over to see them if anyone will give them back! They all have been great companions- I have found him cuddling them in the morning or singing/ chatting with them. I should give your suggestion a try- I feel bad taking his friends away. Perhaps I will keep the one he hugs the most when he puts himself to sleep.

We have had lots of guests over since the last 2 months. Around mid day nap, the house has been pretty quiet. Right now for his morning nap, he is blowing bubbles at his feet. Sigh.....

788 14 yrs ago
I follow GF routines as a guideline instead of making him go to sleep or waking the baby up precisely at x am/pm etc. And it has been working really well for him. He is definitely reducing his nap time but I can also see he is very tired- rubbing his eyes and getting annoyed at every small thing which is why I put him down for a nap. But then he starts playing which is throwing me off- its extremely cute but extremely annoying at the same time because it starts affecting the rest of his day.

Today all toys had been thrown out, instead he decided to amuse himself by squishing himself into a corner and see how his feet could go in and out of the crib bars while singing!:) I went in and he fell asleep within seconds of my stroking him. This is after 45 min of putting him down at 8:45am since he woke up at 5:40am today (I generally pat/ stroke him a couple of times before leaving the room and check on him every 10-15 min or so depending on his noises).

Is he getting over tired since he was rubbing his eyes and scratching his ears by 8:30am? 3+ hours of awake time seems normal for a 13 month old.

First nap around 9-9:30am for 15min-half hour max. Mid-day nap 12:30-1pm for 2 hours max and bed at 7pm.

mscheerful 14 yrs ago
my guess is that he is so ready to give up his morning nap. you have read G/F's book but he hasn't :) i will definitely play by ear at this age of him than to follow certain books and stick to it.

michelley 14 yrs ago
with the toys:

i take them away during bedtime and when my daughter is asleep i put them back in her crib so when she gets up in the morning she won't miss her little friends.

Z 14 yrs ago
I'd also advise cutting the am nap. My [now 15mo] went down to one nap a day at about 14mo -- his wakeups had been getting incrementally earlier [partly enabled by getting breakfast earlier and earlier], and his morning nap had been only 20-30 mins for a while. I pushed his lunch up an hour, cut out his morning snack [but not his second breakfast] and we now put him down soon after lunch. His lunchtime nap has gone from barely an hour to averaging about 1:20; his wakeup has drifted back down to 6:30 +/- 15 mins and bedtime is also averaging 6:30. But mine jumped to a 12 hour night/12 hour day cycle quite early - about 2-3 weeks old [still bf'ing at night] with relatively short day naps -- 45-60 mins starting from maybe 3mo.

788 14 yrs ago
Goodness, the answer has been right in front of me! When babies are ready to drop their morning naps (there goes my shower, me time!;))- generally how long does it take for babies to get used to it? Michelley, good idea re: toys and putting them back later.

Thanks, everyone- all your input is very much appreciated. I have been a lot more tired with my current pregnancy- naps and seems like everything driving me up the wall- haven't been able to think clearly or be more intuitive re: baby's cues.

michelley 14 yrs ago
but by cutting down to one nap, you'll find you have an easier time getting your babe to sleep and getting your babe to sleep longer. so ur shower me time will still there and you might even be able to get in a few bubble baths! hahaa

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
"When babies are ready to drop their morning naps (there goes my shower, me time!;))- generally how long does it take for babies to get used to it?"

A few days to a week.

You can just have him in the bathroom while you shower. That way you can keep an eye on him-

Z 14 yrs ago
There's no way that I'd let my 1yo play in the bathroom while I shower -- steam plus tile floor equals very slippery surface; toilets are also a big attractive nuisance at this age; and mine is a particular climbing monkey. Plus, in our house it's bathtub/shower curtain, so harder to keep an eye on him...

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
- Get a transparent shower curtain.

- Put a towel on the floor to make it less slippery.

- At 13 months you should be able to tell him not to do things at least while he is right there.

- Get a child lock for the toilet. IKEA has cabinet locks that work great on toilet lids.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad