Primary schools Interviews

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by hkrcac 18 yrs ago
Hi,

My son will be attending interviews conducted for admission into international

primary schools soon.He is 3 yrs old. Could anybody pls share their experiences/knowledge regarding the interviews attended by their children or/and the kind of questions asked/assessment details for successfully being selected?

Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Katetam 18 yrs ago
depends which ones... but in general:

1) What is your name?

2) How old are you?

3) Who brought you here today?

4) What does your parents do with you on Sundays?

5) Questions about Colours, shapes, and counting

6) Call some words, student has to circle the right one.

7) When leaving, say good bye, eye contact, and thank you.

3 years old already has primary school interviews? Which school is this?

pennypots 18 yrs ago
Why consider any primary school that conducts interviews for three year olds? Nonsense! I think you can assess what type of education your child will recieve from such a school all work and no play! Not a happy child at the end of the day.

kar 18 yrs ago
I think most international schools hold interviews for prospective students. Haven't heard of any that do not. However, not all interviews are as structured as the one Katetam mentioned. I think the interviewer is looking at how well the child understands English (or the main teaching language of the school), if the child can follow basic directions and to see if there are any obvious developmental issues.

hkrcac 18 yrs ago
Hi,

Thanks a lot for all your responses.Sorry, I meant interviews for kindergarten - not primary.

Just one thing that Katetam mentioned.."depends which ones" - do any of them have any specific questions/requirements that you know of?Any specific type of questions for international schools?

Thanks.

Katetam 18 yrs ago
Ah ! Makes much more sense... I thought primary schools interviews at three... was kind of ridiculous.

Anyways, international school interviews for kindergartens- alot of them just have the interviews in groups. The children go into the room in groups of 6-8, play a bunch of bricks, blocks, lego, puzzles.... while teachers WATCH and assess. Then a teacher will approach each child to talk.... informally. In general, just to see how the child responds, what's your name? What's THIS? ( Pointing to an apple, or a banana).... can you do this puzzle? Oh, you like playing kitchen.....etc. The child hardly knows it's an interview.

Some like St. Catherine's..... ask questions that I thought were totally age inappropriate:

1 ) What's your name?

2) Who brought you to the school today?

3) Gave 4 pictures, which one flies?

4) which one swims?

5) What do you do with your mouth?

6) There are 4 cups with different objects inside. The teacher shakes it, and ask the child to say what is inside. What do you think is inside.

7) Do you have a pet at home?

8) Do you have other brothers or sisters?

(This was the English interview), you can choose Chinese.

I thought it was ridiculous to ask a near 2 year old these questions, my daughter was just 2 then. My second one will be only 22 months when it's interview time.

MOst of them ask what's your name, age, and something about the parents, and test motor skills. Colors, and identify objects like fruits, cars, flowers, animals.

hkrcac 18 yrs ago
Thanks a lot,Katetam for sharing your views.For international schools when you say that the teachers WATCH do you mean that they expect the child to complete the lego,puzzles etc.within the 10-15 mins before they approach them?What else do they WATCH for?Thanks a lot for your input - I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect at these interviews.

cd 18 yrs ago
They don't watch to see if they can do a puzzle, but to see their reactions and interactions with the other children. Whether they talk to each other etc. A teacher may read the group a story and see whether the children are following it or if they ask questions or point things out relating to the pictures in the story. This is how ESF do it for primary.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad