HK vs Shanghai air pollution

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by GlanAber 18 yrs ago
I get the feeling that Shanghai has worse air pollution than Hong Kong but is there any way I can quantify it? My question relates to a possible transfer there by my husband's company and I am worried about the health effects on my kids. My younger one has spent the first 18 months here needing a nebuliser everytime she got a cold and the last 6 months we've been able to treat her with ventolin and becotide puffers. Although she hasn't been diagnosed asthmatic we've been told she probably has reactive airways disease. My gut feeling is that Shanghai would be bad for her.......???

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
GlanAber 18 yrs ago
Ha ha! I wish it was as easy as that......on a recent weekend trip to Shanghai I was impressed with it and think it could make a cool place to live. But not at the expense of our long-term health.....

Ed 18 yrs ago
I have been to both places quite a few times - anecdotally I think HK is worse overall - more high pollution days overall. But there were some days, particularly in the colder months where the pollution on certain days was FAR worse than I have ever experienced in HK... I understand that this is due to increases in the burning of coal to keep up with the demand for electricity to keep people warm...

Babette 18 yrs ago
Many people have told me (including my husband who is there quite frequently) that it is more polluted/smoggy in Shanghai than Hk, but maybe this is changing? I doubt that there are accurate pollution counts that you can check and compare. We have a child with asthma, but her asthma is only rarely affected by the pollution; it is actually worse in the country due to pollens!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad