About getting a Divorce...

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by heatherline 13 yrs ago
and if u married here ( Hk ) u have to file in HK. Ive done mind already just finish. i went to private lawyer am the one to pay for it.....i think ur case is should be okey ask her to apply in the goverment but it takes a long time.. than the private lawyer..

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
associates 13 yrs ago
[UPDATE] Please note that fee quotes stated in historic postings may be out-of-date.

From your email below, it appears that you are a resident in the US and no longer have any ties to Hong Kong. In order to commence an action for Divorce Courts in Hong Kong, one of the parties must have a substantial connection to Hong Kong. If your wife is resident in Hong Kong, this is sufficient to allow you to commence an action here.

Alternatively you can commence an action pursuant to the laws of the state you currently reside in, in the US. The critical components of that action will be your standing to bring the action (often you must be resident in the State for a minimum period) and the service of documents on your wife offshore the United States will need to be heeded. You must comply specifically with whatever particular rule for service of documentation your particular state will dictate. Obviously you would have to engage a service agent (Hong Kong law firm will take on this responsibility) to ensure that the process is properly carried out and the appropriate affidavit of service is signed and returned to the USA.

The simplest divorces that have no assets to divide, maintenance to pay or custody/maintenance of children to be concerned with will notwithstanding take several months to complete in Hong Kong, your current state may be faster.

Weir & Associates

Solicitors & Notaries

16th Floor Tak Shing House

20 Des Voeux Road Central

Central

Hong Kong

Tel : 2526-1767

Fax : 2868-3568

Email : WeirLaw@weirandassociates.com

www.weirandassociates.com/weirlaw

rob378 13 yrs ago
Athalonia,

I have read on other threads here that once either you or your wife have filed for divorce, the other can no longer file again.. meaning, it is in your interest to file for divorce in your own country. If your wife files first in either HK or the Phillipines, it will be to your disadvantage.

But you better check these details as i'm not 100% certain of this. Its just based on what i have read here.

Also, i have a feeling you will get more feedback on this topic if you repost under the relationships section. Lots of info for you to read there also.

All the best.

lllsss 11 yrs ago
Experience is a great teacher and I am willing to share my experience with you.‎

My personal experience thought me that it was a mistake to hire a divorce lawyer and then leave it up to ‎that lawyer … and without any‏ ‏guidance on how to manage the lawyer and the relationship with him/her.‎

I have just another new client that needed to change a lawyer since her case was a ‘small money case’ ‎which did not draw the right attention from her lawyer, causing her case to be lengthy and costly.‎

Clients come to me with more horror stories, spending hundreds of thousands of HK$, even before the first ‎hearing (First Appointment). ‎

Divorcing people are serving/being served petitions without knowing about ‘Joint Application” option – ‎which is cheaper, shorter and more amicable way to divorce. ‎

If I had known then, what I know now, I would have done represented myself from the first step in my ‎divorce, and not only at a later stage - my appeal in the High Court of Hong Kong.‎

That, in my opinion, makes me the best person to look out for these interests for any one in a need. ‎

One thing is crucial in the process – information and knowledge. Just before stepping into a legal firm – let ‎me share with you the procedures and the options that are available to you in order to ease the process ‎and allow you to understand where you are ‘going’ and act in a proactive manner. Whether you hire a ‎lawyer or represent yourself.‎

Make sure you go into divorce ‘equipped’ so you don't come away from divorce with remorse.‎

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad