Change of job for professional visa holder

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by ebow3d 11 yrs ago
I need to clarify something that I cannot seem to find on the HK Immigration site.

I have been living in HK for 5 years now on a professional visa. I'm South African.

If I change jobs, do I need to apply for a new visa, ie: resubmit all the info I did the first time around. Or can one just transfer the visa, similar to when I renew it every two years.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
HarryB 11 yrs ago
Immi Department must agree to the job change! When terminating the current job, immigration department must be informed by the current employer. With that, your working visa becomes obsolete and you have to leave HK within the time a normal visa would allow you to stay.

For the new job, you have to apply the working visa again. Employer must make clear why he wants to employ you and not a loval person. However, that shouldn't be a big problem. Anyway, when the current job is terminated and immi depatment does not agree to the new job, you have to leave........

Consequently, you have to re-apply the working visa.

punter 11 yrs ago
Understand that your current visa is sponsored by your current employer. Everytime it is renewed, the sponsor is still the same and usually there's no need to provide the documents. You can only work for the employer that sponsored your visa.

If you're going to work for a different employer, you need to have a work visa sponsored by that other employer. That new employer will do the same things your current employer did for you to obtain your current work visa. hth.

ebow3d 11 yrs ago
Yes thanks for the replies. I was just hoping its a bit quicker. That means that it adds another month (optimistically) to my starting date, should I get another job.

ebow3d 11 yrs ago
One more question. If I get offered another job, do I first have to cancel my current work visa before I can apply for the new one?

In other words, I would first have to resign from my current job and wait for the new visa before I can work again?

Or can I apply for the new visa straight away?

punter 11 yrs ago
This question was already asked before but I can't remember if it was answered or not.

Technically, you're just breaking the law if you work for somebody else other than the employer that sponsored your work visa. So technically speaking, you can apply for another job with a different employer and not break the law. (I don't know what happens behind the scenes while a working visa is under process with the immigration) But you need to think and prepare for the eventuality that your current employer knows about what you're doing...

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad