Fastest way to get HK driving licence?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by PJJ 8 yrs ago
I was told recently by Transport Department that they wouldn't exchange my foreign driving licence... Strict regulations, and no way around these - it's a dead end.

So, I'm looking for any recent experience expediting the process to get HK driving licence - i.e.:

* Driving schools and/or private instructors that get customers through faster than others?

* Any way to avoid wasting time taking all these driving lessons (I've been driving cars for 30 years, on both sides of the road)?

* If it really has to cost in excess of HKD 10K, so be it... but perhaps it's the driving lessons that inflate the total cost?

Expert hints much appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
scorpio01 8 yrs ago
your original driving license which you hold now was issued from which country?

PJJ 8 yrs ago
@Scorpio: The driving licence I hold (which is about to expire) is a UK driving licence. I got it in exchange for my Polish driving licence - this has has been spotted by TD, and is the reason they won't simply give me a HK licence. Like I said, it's a dead end.

scorpio01 8 yrs ago
yes Polish driving license is not in the list, but UK driving license is,

I don't see any reason why they won't accept a UK driving license, no matter how it was issued.

if I remember correctly, there were some driving schools in the same building where TD is located, try to talk to them for a discount on this.

JennyTalia 8 yrs ago
I'd suggest escalating it up the chain of command in Transport Dept.

If that does not provide "satisfaction" - then get the HK Ombudsman involved in the action.

scorpio01 8 yrs ago
i would suggest the same, i could not find anything which says that a UK license issued on a Polish license is invalid for direct issue of HK License.

PJJ 8 yrs ago
Thanks Jenny and Scorpio - I will talk to TD again. However...

Reading through the application form again, to my understanding, in order for a UK licence to be eligible for straight exchange to HK licence, the former must have been issued as a result of 'driving test' taken in the UK - i.e. it has to be an 'original' UK licence. My isn't.

mrcynic 8 yrs ago
PJJ - sadly I think your interpretation is correct. I am fairly sure there is a waiting list for driving tests so it would be better to make a booking asap; this may be better if done through a local driving school. unfortunately they may want to squeeze you for lessons as well but it may not be wise to refuse point blank as they do have good relationships with the examiners.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad