Buying pearls

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by marcom 17 yrs ago
Hi there,

Looking for pearl jewelry. (Real ones).

I was told that i can find cheap stuff in Shenzhen.

Any recommendations for shops in HK or Shenzhen?

Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
J2Steyn 17 yrs ago
Shenzhen is the best for fresh water pearls - the shopping centre at shenzhen station, I think 3rd floor has all the pearl outlets and there are all colours and shapes. Don't pay more than a 3rd of the price they offer you though!

samros 17 yrs ago
Cannot recommend to you any Shenzen venue, since I am not familiar with the place, but a reference on how to select the various types of pearl. It is difficult to find a real natural pearl as most are cultured.

http://www.purepearls.com/pearl-library/pearl-library.htm

I remembered going to a pearl farm's showroom on the outskirts of Shanghai. The choices were mindboggling and can be bargained down drastically!

Hongqiao Market in Beijing is a popular venue and has a wide range of pearls to suit all budget. In fact, it is affordable as xmas/birthday gifts and so easy to carry home, minimum luggage space.

mayita 16 yrs ago
Usually Sea Water pearls are preferred over freshwater pearls, because the shine /colour is different.

(out one of each, same size & same shape, on the same sheet of black paper or even white paper, and you'll figure out straight away what i'm talking about, though i'm definitely not an expert....)

BIGFATMICE 11 yrs ago
I bought a strand of pearls at LoWu Commercial City on 3/F 2G-13, the booth which sold only pearls at the corner facing the escalator. When I got home, I found the holes on some pearls to be too tiny for any pins to go through. Subsequently, I brought them back to request the store if they could drill bigger holes for these pearls. Instead of offering me any assistance, the storekeeper insisted there was nothing that could be done. When I asked her again to suggest whether there was anyway that she could help (as my family and I spent a lot of time and money to come just for this particular purpose), we were really taken aback by her response when she fiercely hit the table and shouted at us to leave. She told us that we were wasting her time to serve other customers. Needless to say, we were so shocked by her "civilized" manner!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad