BBQ

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by vvv 19 yrs ago
Does anybody have a good recipe for marinating chicken wings?

Is there a way to cook the chicken wings first before bbq? Sometimes it takes so long to cook them. I am not sure if I can steam them first, and then bbq. What do you think?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Life 19 yrs ago
3 Tbls soy sauce

4 Tbls liquid honey

2 tbls vinegar

1 Tbls sherry

2 tsp brown sugar

½ tsp ground ginger

1 garlic clove, crushed

12 chicken wings

Place everything but the chicken in a bowl and mix well until smooth. Put the chicken in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over it. I like to leave it overnight. Then grill or bake in an oven at 375F for 15-20 min. Baste from time to time with the marinade.

Life 19 yrs ago
If you want bbq sauce like the red stuff, then I can type one up for you tomorrow.

vvv 19 yrs ago
life, thank you for the recipe. I don't need the sauce so thanks for offering.

do you think I can steam it first before bbq to save time?

vvv 19 yrs ago
gumtree, thanks for your advice. I might just wrap them up in foil and pre-cook in the oven first.

lianz 19 yrs ago
i boil chicken wing with marinade sauces and bit of water ( no marinde for hours ) for a while then grill it... extra works but it makes sure they get cooked and well marinated..and i like it that way cause it's tastier :) then brush some honey when u grill it to avoid burnt or dryness on urwing

ness 19 yrs ago
Grilled Chicken Wings with Hong Kong Spices or Shek O Wings (from The Barbecue Bible - Steven Raichlen).

12 whole chicken wings

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/3 cup of honey

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

3 cloves garlic minced

3 scallions very finely chopped

2 teaspoons chinese five spice powder

1. rinse the chicken wings under cold running water, pat dry with kitchen towel. Make 2 or 3 deep slashes to the bone in the meat part of each wing. Set aside while you prepare the marinade.

2. Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl and whisk until all honey is dissolved.

3. Reserve half the marinade for when grilling.

4. Marinate in zip lock bag for 6 - 24 hours in fridge.

5. Thread the wings onto a bamboo skewer (soak these in water for an hour before using to stop them burning on the grill). Skewer through all three sections of the wing to hold the wing open as wide as possible. Heat grill to medium/high/. Oil the grill grate and arrange the wings on the hot grate. rill, turning with tongs, until the thicker wing sections are no longer pink near the bone, 12 - 16 minutes. Use the reserved marinade to brush the wings as they cook. Don't baste during the last 3 minutes of cooking.

If I was doing this for a lot of people I would pre cook the wings in a covered tray in the oven in the marinade for 20 - 30 minutes at 180 and then finish them off on the bbq as I find it quite labour intesive and a little smoky to do it for anything more than 6 persons (allowing about 4 wings each but my family are greedy so would have about 6 - 8 each and since we have 6 people with just us that is a lot of turning and basting!!)

As a quick weeknight treat the kids actually just like the wings cooked in the ready made marindae by AMOY - "all purpose marinade". I just bake them uncovered in a foil dish in the oven. This is also a good base to add your own extra spices to if you want.

vvv 19 yrs ago
THANK YOU everyone for your recipe and advice!!!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad