Can u watch UK TV?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Glasgow 13 yrs ago
We're moving to HK in Jan. Can u watch UK TV over the internet? I think Slingbox requires you to watch TV live (not easy). Or using a UK IP address to watch BBC iPlayer (etc) - is this possible and decent quality? Tks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 13 yrs ago
Choose wisely. Now TV locks you in for two years and a lot of people end up not watching it a lot. Certainly we canceled ours. Must have turned the box on 20 times in 2 years; none at all in the last six months.

funbobby 13 yrs ago
you can configure a slingbox AND DVR together to time shift your programming, all controlled remotely from your PC...

Thames 13 yrs ago
Yes, follow axptguy's advice very carefully! Trust me, the novelty of being able to watch a (sometimes quite old) British television series on NOW will wear off on the nth re-run. I think NOW is reluctant to dip into its profits pot and doesn't purchase many programmes so we get treated to endless repeats. As soon as they've shown one series they'll run it again. And again. And again. So not only do you see the same episode three or four times a day, probably two or three times a week, but only a few weeks later it's quite probable that they'll start showing that same series again from scratch. It can be a depressing, drawn-out sort of Groundhog Day scenario.

pmc 13 yrs ago
Does anyone have experience using My private Network to watch uk tv. My friend introduced it to me you can sign up for 5 pounds a month paid by paypal and can quit anytime, so no binding contracts. their website is www.myprivatenetwork.com.uk

Susie1 13 yrs ago
NOW tv have just introduced a Granada channel, which is a pay extra one, it has corrie and Emmerdale-- old episodes. Their BBc channel is a mix of all old BBc programmes.

However-- my saving grace when I came her was to google UKNOVA, on the computer-took a while till they would let me sign in, as they limit numbers, but I kept trying, once signed up IT IS FREE, you can watch a lot of your Fav. programmes, I watch Corrie, Emerdale, Holby, casualty X-factor, all the current ones on my computer, you just have to have a bit torrent as well. plus there are loads more UK programmes on there.

boddingtons 13 yrs ago
UK TV Content on Now is very very good - mixture of classic repeats and new content so just like back home.

Supplement with downloads from UKNova for the contemporary stuff (Apprentice, Mock the Week, QI, HIGNFY etc) and there is plenty to watch.

chillifontain 13 yrs ago
I would suggest you to use IP one. I'm paying 5-6 pounds a month. Now I've been watching I'm celeb etc. It's smooth but picture quality is not brilliant! But anything is better than NOW TV. We've got Granada too but the programmes are not very updated!

Dazaldo 11 yrs ago
I came across Thai Expat Tv the other day. I must say the free trial was most impressive. 7 day history of all the major UK TV channels on demand. Quality is excellent and works on multiple platforms. Certainly worth a look at the trial if you've not had one already.

KittyKaiTak 11 yrs ago
I use scothosts.com as a proxy server. It is brilliant, access to all UK tv via the internet.

kylcheung124 11 yrs ago

Tokittykaitak, is it free ?

Glasgow 11 yrs ago
There's some great replies above that I need to check out (I started this thread).

My own experience is that VPNs didn't work for me. Probably a garbage Internet connection (old building). Having said that I was really slow to complain to PCCW about now broadband gobbling up 80%-odd of my bandwidth. It would seem that they're happy to rub a second line into the flat with a second modem, something most people seem to have.

At any rate, now happily using overplay.net, a DNS server option which does the business. That said, only iPlayer allows downloading; others require streaming. So need to check some of these other options out as well as some of the options that permit you to convert files and remove the time expiry software. I know I'm miles behind the times here!

KittyKaiTak 11 yrs ago
No, scothosts requires a subscription, about $100 a month. That is why it is stable and always works! I have used it for over a year with no problems.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad