Adopting from China

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by JoanneH 15 yrs ago
Can anyone advise? Not sure where to start. We're returnees to Hong Kong, westerners, lived here in the 90's and looking to adopt from China. Is this classed as an intercountry adoption? How on earth do we get started? Can anyone suggest some websites/phone numbers etc? Looking forward to some direction.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
missdj 15 yrs ago
Hi Joanne,

Not sure of your reason to adopt from China, and not Hong Kong. But, in case you aren't aware it is alot cheaper and quicker to adopt locally.

When we first considered adoption, we wanted China as well, and were directed to ISS here. Then we heard about the local HK process and have adopted one and are going thru it again for a 2nd. child.

If you are still interesed or wanting to adopt from China, contact ISS (International Social Service of HK) They work with people here wanting to adopt in China, India and Thailand.

6/F, Southorn Centre, 130 Hennessy Road

Wanchai, HK

Tel: 2834 6863

Web: www.isshk.org

Good luck

JoanneH 15 yrs ago
Thanks missdj. And good luck with your 2nd adoption. Interested to hear you say it's quicker to adopt through Hong Kong. How long did it take you to adopt your first? Also, I've heard that priority is given to ethnic Chinese (we're caucasion).

missdj 15 yrs ago
Hi JoanneH. Thanks, we are just finishing up the papers for the 2nd. one, so I hope soon.

I have heard thru a few people now, as well as when we first inquired about China, that it is averaging 18 months to get a child. Here in HK, it is averaging 9 to 12 months. Our first one took alot longer than everyone else I know, as we we out of HK for 3 months, so had to put it on hold, then we had some medical issues with ourselves. Majority of the people I know it is approx. 10 months. Second adoption process takes about 3 months.

Chinese or Asian do have priority over us (Caucasian). But it does help if you are open to a boy or girl, any nationality, and not just newborn, (Up to 1 yr is good). Our daughter was 16 months old when we brought her home.

aemom 15 yrs ago
If you both have permanent residence in Hong Kong, then you probably can adopt from China; otherwise, you must "be examined and approved by a responsible agency of the adopter's resident country". Read Article 21 of the PRC Adoption Law (found here: http://www.china-ccaa.org/site/infocontent/ZCFG_2005100901425793_en.htm )

There also may be a problem obtaining a one-way permit for the child to live in HK. All Chinese citizens who move to HK should have this permit and can wait years to get it.

With regard to a Chinese couple having preference over non-Chinese couples, I think you'll find that every country has some sort of priority list. Other considerations are age, whether you have other children, how long you've been married.

We adopted in HK twice. It was quick and painless. From start to bringing them home, less than 9 months for our son and about 4 months for our daughter (his bio sister).

tonymaffoy 15 yrs ago
why do not you find those websites over search engines or make contact to unicef websites they might help you out about this.

or contact local municipal corporation for this.

hipsmiffy 15 yrs ago
What are the organization in HK that we can enquire with, in relations to adopting a child in HK. Any criteria to meet? Please advise.

bectygeo 15 yrs ago
http://www.halfthesky.org/

"Half the Sky Foundation was created in 1998 by a small group of parents who had adopted from China who had limited resources and the huge dream of providing one-on-one, nurturing care to every children living in a Chinese institution. In the last decade, thanks to more than 20,000 generous grassroots, corporate, and foundation supporters and its effective programs, Half the Sky is now a global NGO with offices in Beijing, Hong Kong and Berkeley, California."

tedlem 12 yrs ago
You can go through ISShk.org

They are a Hague convention recognized organizatin and in Hong Kong.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad