How to deliver at public hospital of choice?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Tung Chung 15 yrs ago
Hi everyone

I live in Tung Chung and have had 2 babies at the Queen Mary Hospital in the past 4 years. Now I am halfway through my 3rd pregnancy and want to deliver at Queen Mary again. However, they won't let me make an appointment for registration because we are not in the right "zones area". (Even though I have always lived in Tung Chung). The hospital for us is Princess Margaret. I do not want to go there because I know the Queen Mary by now and would prefer the 3rd baby to be delivered there as well. I have heard of people managing to get around this by having something send to a friend who lives in the right area. As long as you have your name on a piece of paper that has an "accepted" residential address then they will allow you to deliver there. Only question is - what did you get sent to another address? Credit card? So would I have to apply for another credit card at a friends address? Water and lights/ elec bill is a bit complicated to organise. Any other ideas?

If anyone else has done this (I have heard many stories of people doing this but don't actually know anyone personally), please will you let me know how you did it?

By the way, I did try and appeal to the receptionist by saying I have ahd two other babies there. I also have a Dr.'s letter from a private doctor requesting that I deliver there... all to no avail!

Thanks a lot!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
MARB 15 yrs ago
Hi Tung Chung,

I had my first child at Queen Mary and am now pregnant with my second. And like you I also want this baby delivered at QM. The problem this time round is we now live in Macau....So we are definetely well out of the zone area!!!

There is an easy solution to your problem.

I went to my bank in HK and asked them to change my residential address. I had a bank statement sent to my friends address in HK. I then gave it to Tsan Yuk as proof and am now registered and having baby at hospital of my choice.

It was as easy as that....

Hope all goes well for you.

Tung Chung 15 yrs ago
Thanks so much! That was EXACTLY what I decided to do but haven't done it yet (I only found out today that they definitely wouldn't take me from Tung Chung) . I was wondering if it would be as easy as that or if they would require further/ constant proof that you have supplied your real residential address. I am going to do that ASAP. I really appreciate your reply and it is reassuring to know that you have succeeded. I figured it would just be an initial box that would have to be ticked upon registration and that once that box was ticked I'd be "in the system" and left alone after that - but it's very nice to know that you've actually did it.

I appreciate you getting back to me. Good luck with your pregnancy. How far are you? I am 20 weeks now.

MARB 15 yrs ago
Hi Ladies,

I am 14 weeks into my pregnancy and feeling great!!!

Fortunately I am a HK PR resident living in Macau with the intention of moving back to HK one day....

Sardina 15 yrs ago
Hi Ladies,

I'm also pregnant and live in Tung Chung. Without maternal insurance i am left with the Queen Mary's hospital as my only choice for delivery. When i called the hospital for registering, i was told the same as you. My only worry is whether after registration they would carry out further cross checkings to verify the genuinity of the info provided. What is your experience with that?

I have recently moved to Tung Chung and still dont know anyone out here. If you are interested to have a cup of coffee together, please let me know.

thanks for the info you can provide.

Tung Chung 15 yrs ago
Hi Sardina

When I have delivered there before, they did not need my address for anything after registration so I very much doubt that they will do any cross checking later on. Being Hong Kong, I honestly think it's just a case of having to tick the right box upon registration and after that they will not even look at it again. I would love to meet up with you sometime. I will send you a private message with my details. I am going to QM on Wednesday to register so will let you know how it goes!

Tung Chung 15 yrs ago
Hi again, just an update... I registered with the Queen Mary hospital today with my bank statement reflecting my "new address". All went smoothly. They only glanced at the paper once to check that I lived in the right "zone" before continuing on with the registration process. I honestly feel that they will not check this again and I am relieved to be going to the hospital of my choice now. So for all you ladies out there who are in the same position, read the above threads - it really was that easy!

Sardina, I have sent you a private message with my details. Did you get it?

ShaC 13 yrs ago
Hi MARB

I'm in a similar situation to you. I am a HK Permanent resident living in Macau and would like to have my baby in HK preferably at Queen Mary. I've just found out I'm pregnant with my first child so this is all very new to me. I'd really appreciate if you could share your experience of the logistics of registering at a HK hospital and travelling from Macau for the birth. Did you go to stay in HK some time in advance of the birth? Also what documents are required to bring a newborn back to Macau from HK.

Look forward to your reply!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad