international adoption

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by matmatHK 13 yrs ago
Hi, am looking to adopt as a single mom, I would like to know if there is any way to adopt from HK in country like Ethiopia or Kazakhstan, ...From what I have seen on the ISS website, they only have agreement with India, Phililppines, Russia and Thailand. Thanks in advance for the help

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ailsa 13 yrs ago
ISS is the only agency in HK that can do overseas adoptions. If you don't fit their criteria or they don't offer the countries etc that you are interested in then your only option is to seek an independent adoption. This means you need to make contact directly with the country of your choice, seek the approval of your own country (where you have citizenship), put together the required dossier and arrange a home study with a private social worker, working in this region. What now makes it more difficult is that private social workers can only do home studies

in Hong Kong for countries that are not Hague accredited. Ethiopia is such a country, at the moment , but I'm not sure about Kazachhstan. The other problem, of course, is that more and more countries are closing to singles. Which country are you from?

matmatHK 13 yrs ago
Thanks Ailsa for your very clear answer. I am from France where you can adopt as a single. Is there a repertory to find the private social worker in HK please?

LilyK 13 yrs ago
You can adopt in Hong Kong as a single mom. I am in the middle of the process right now. It has been fairly straight forward. Lots of paperwork but easy to work through. If you have any questions feel free to PM

matmatHK 13 yrs ago
Thanks Lily. Actually I am gay and my application has been refused in Hong Kong for HK children

LilyK 13 yrs ago
I did not know that. That is too bad. They should really get with the times and look for someone who could be a good parent, not at their sexual preference. I will keep my eyes open for any other countries with more open policies. Good luck on your search, keep looking - it is worth it for sure. I have one adopted child already and it has been a great experience.

Pri perera 12 yrs ago
Hi, i am looking to adopt in HK can you please help me with an agency I can work with.

i am based in HK

expatteacher 12 yrs ago
Hi,

My husband and I will be moving to HK in a couple of months and plan to stay for several years. We are US citizens and would like to plan to adopt in HK or China. Does anyone know if we will still have to go through a US agency even though we're living in HK? I've read other comments on other threads in this subject and some people make it sounds like such a smooth and relatively quick process I'm wondering if all of them are either from the UK or Australia and therefore have special adoption privileges that I wouldn't have. Any US citizens out there who have adopted and can offer some insight? Thanks!

emonkey 12 yrs ago
Hi all, Just wanted to make sure you are aware of Adoptive Families of Hong Kong www.afhk.org.hk. We are a nonprofit society of adoptive families and adult adoptees that has been around for nearly 20 years. We have subgroups for waiting families and can help you get your questions answered while you are considering adoption. To expatteacher: please send an email to contact@afhk.org.hk, and we can give you more info regarding adopting as a US citizen. Perera: We have all the HK adoption agencies listed on our Web site. matmatHK: I'm not sure why your application was denied. I know of several gay families who have successfully adopted from Hong Kong. Please do get in touch with AFHK at contact@afhk.org.hk. Maybe we can help. Cheers all.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad