recent delivery experience at the QMH ??

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by hkkydd 12 yrs ago
I am 15 weeks pregnant and going through the public system for delivery at the QMH. I've heard mixed stories about delivering there and mainly stories about not getting an epidural when requested. This is my second baby and I had an epidural the first time in Sydney. I just dont think I could cope giving birth without one! Does anyone know how to make sure you do get an epidural at the QMH if you ask for one? Put it in my birth plan?

I am still considering going privately but in a 6 bed ward, but looking around this is still out of our price range...and I also might be too late.....some good or bad recent stories about the QMH would be greatly appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Richo1 12 yrs ago
Hi hkkydd,

I delivered at the QMH just recently and I spent quite some time in there due to complications and I learnt and observed the system very well and what I worked out is that you have to show pain on your face and use a lot of body language. Then they will do a check and as soon as you are 3cm dilated they will transfer you to the labour ward were you can rejoin your partner and possibly request that epidural. I personally don't see the point of going to a six bed ward as it will be exactly the same as being at a public hospital only you have to pay for everything. Secondly, in Hong Kong if there are any complications with your baby such as early delivery or any other major complication, your baby will most likely be transferred to a public NICU while you stay in the private hospital. Finally, I read that you have been pregnant before which probably went great for you but you can never fully plan a pregnancy the little one or ones will create their own plan for you. I have learnt this first hand and meet several women along the way that will agree with me.

If you want to chat more about the public v's private feel free to send a private message.

Richo1

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad