IVF Embryo transfer using just one embryo?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by paulseb 13 yrs ago
I wondered if anyone has used just one embryo in IVF and what results they'd had. We were lucky first time when 3 were implanted and at first we had twins but after2 months one failed to survive and we ended up with a wonderful boy. We had one further attempt using 2 embryos but this failed. We have frozen embryos but twins would be too much for us [age, finances]. With 2 embryos implanted, chances are 75% success, 40% chance of twins. With one embryo, there's apparently a 50% chance of success.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
GemmaW 13 yrs ago
Due to my fear of twins, I also had just one put in. That cycle failed. We then put two in with our second IVF and only one took. We have a beautiful daughter from it. We have two embryos left over and we will put in one at a time.

My gynae tells me that it doesn't matter whether you put one or two in at a time. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it won't.

Of course there's a higher chance of success with two embryos... but you run the risk of having twins so unless you are prepared for it, it's better not to.

I don't mind raising twins but I worry about premature delivery and the risks to the babies as a result of it. So if I can avoid, I probably will. So one at a time for me now.

Good luck :-)

paulseb 13 yrs ago
Thanks Gemma for this helpful reply. Yes the delivery risks are high and this is another reason I fear twins. Really, I feel OK about how we are with one but My wife feels our boy needs a sibling, someone to relate to as we may leave this earth when he is still a young man- late 20's, 30's. I'd have no doubts if I was younger! Good luck with your attempts!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad