The biology of dads

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Ed 3 yrs ago
The bodies and brains of fathers, not just mothers, are transformed through the love and labour of raising a child 

https://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/Utility/GetImage.ashx?ImageID=341c6e4a-f723-47ed-9bd2-5d59963b4eb7&refreshStamp=0 
On a hot summer morning in Atlanta a few years ago, I took my then five-year-old son to his swimming lesson. As we walked toward his pool, we passed a smaller, shallower pool where an infant swim class was underway. I was still trying to wake up, but the class was already in full gear and my attention was drawn to a chorus of motherese (the high-pitched, rhythmic, infant-directed speech known more colloquially as baby talk) arising from the class.

Parents were standing in a circle inside the pool, holding their infants in front of them, with the instructor in the centre. I couldn’t help but notice that many of the parents were fathers. Some were a bit chubby, with pale torsos reflecting the bright sunlight. They seemed like ideal infant-caregivers: calm, gentle, patient and sensitive.

They didn’t seem like men you would go to battle with. In fact, they were the very antithesis of the warriors and athletes – think Maximus, Achilles or Michael Jordan – often associated with a masculine ideal. 

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad