Moving to HK and already 16 weeks pregnant

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Sophs1 13 yrs ago
I am currently 16 weeks pregnant with number 2 (due 29th Dec), and my husband's work are relocating us to HK in September. Even though we won't get our visa and HK ID card until September I thought I should try and book/register with a hospital now as I know they get very booked up. We don't have insurance so keen to get into the Queen Marys (will be living in Mid-levels) BUT just rung them up and they said they're fully booked until Feb and I can't book anything until I get my ID card...... Can anyone offer any advice as to what to do? I'm hoping that I can't be the only person who has moved half way through pregnancy to a new country???!! Also I heard that you can register with a private obs/gyn for check ups and still deliver in a public hospital - is this true? Am so appreciative of any advice anyone can give.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
hkbubble 13 yrs ago
Queen Mary will only be saying they are booked because you don't have an HKID card yet. Once you have this then they will take you if you live within the catchment area which does include the midlevels. You have to prove your address to them with a utility bill. If you registered with them now you would have to pay a large deposit as you would be considered a private non-resident patient.

I'm not giving birth at Queen Mary (Don't live in their area) but I registered with a public hospital at 20 weeks and had no problems. I've also had friends who registered at around 30 weeks at Queen Mary and had no problems but they held a HKID.

As with seeing a private OBS/GYN, yes you can do this. Just be aware that there are a few that aren't particularly interested the moment you mention you won't be delivering with them. I see Edmund Hon - Room 701, Hing Wai Building

36 Queen's Road Central ph 2899-2293. He is awesome if only I had the money to deliver with him!!!! In saying that I can't fault the public system.

Good luck with your move.

chykeman 13 yrs ago
Congrats! I have given birth to two babies here in HK. Both at Prince of wales shatin. Before u can register at the hospital you need a referral letter from a OB or GP with confirmation of pg and the letter will be adressed to the hospitAl nearest your address. When i first moved to hk i was in kowloon tong and that is halfway between queen mary and prince of wales, so doc gave me two lwtters. The recent bub i was not given a choice as the closest hospi now is shatin since we moved to tai po. If u have an id card, u will get a bed and appointment. It will depend on urgency too.All the best.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad