Health Insurance HK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by QuiXotic 12 yrs ago
Hi,

I have recently moved to HK with my partner (been here around 10 weeks) and we have recently found out we are having our first child.

I could ask a million questions around this, but my main one is: where to look for health insurance?

Is there any reccomendations? Will it even be worth it or will they have a 9 month clause on all pregnancy related insurance?

Are we even allowed to have the baby here or do we need to go back to Australia?

Need help!!!

Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
scrugby 12 yrs ago
Virtually all maternity health insurance plans will have a waiting period attached to the coverage benefit. So yes, you would have had to have been enrolled in a policy prior to being pregnant in order for the delivery to be covered under the plan.

However, you should look at plans which provide a New Born Child benefit. This is coverage which will afford your infant healthcare protection at birth in the event that there are any congenital birth defects or health issues present at birth. While this coverage will also typically be attached to a waiting period, it is often much shorter than that associated with maternity; normally around 6 months from the start of the plan. However, there may be some options for a New Born Child Benefit which have no waiting periods for the coverage, but do require that both parents are enrolled in the single policy providing the coverage.

You can certainly have the child in Hong Kong. However, without residency you will be required to pay for the minimum HK$ 39,000 fee at a public hospital (like Queen Mary), as with all other non-residents. Public hospital spaces are also filling up rapidly due to mainland maternity tourists, so you may want to look into getting a booking sooner rather than later. Otherwise you can pay out-of-pocket at a private hospital, but the costs there (such as at the Matilda) can run in the range of HK$ 60,000 - HK$ 100,000 depending on the hospital and whether there are any complications with the pregnancy.

Some resources you may want to have a look at:

http://hk.ccw-global.com/health-insurance/coverage/maternity/

http://hk.ccw-global.com/health-insurance/coverage/maternity/newborn-child/

Otherwise, have a chat with a broker from Cooper Claridge-Ware (http://www.ccw-global.com) about your options - locally based and very knowledgeable.

QuiXotic 12 yrs ago
Thanks Scrugby. Very Helpful.

Does the non resident issues apply even though I am on a Visa and have a HK ID? (my partner doesnt, we are trying to work something out for her)

Also, I have a preference for private, money is not really an issue and we would like to go to Matilda as that is where my partner was born as well. She is full Australian and UK citizen, but for some reason, even though she spent the first 5 years of her life in HK, she cannot claim residency :(

Thanks again!

scrugby 12 yrs ago
Not sure, but as your partner is the one giving birth, and as she doesn't have an HKID, i'd say that she doesn't qualify for maternity services as a resident and would most likely have to pay for the mandatory fee.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad